Complete France Forum

Advice needed

Can anyone advise which is the best (ie least worst) time to arrive at Paris CDG, from a traffic point of view. I will then be driving a hire car to Normandy (complete with cat)

Choice 1.  arrive CDG  13.30 on a Thursday

Choice 2. arrive CDG   20.20 on a Friday

Mmmm, by the time you've cleared in, collected your cat and bags and got the car, its going to be landing plus an hour and a half before you are in the car, and another thirty mins to hit the peripherique ... Friday evening might be better, but you pays yer money and takes your choice. Have change ready for tolls once you hit the autoroute.

Thanks Jim and Claire.

I had forgotten the peage tolls, best I get some small notes, cant get coins here.

I think Thursday might be easier, daylight at least, even though its going to be 15.30 ish on the peripherique. I am out of practice at night driving these days.

Theoretically I probably could use a UAE card, its visa but denominated in USD. I wont in fact be able to as my UAE bank account will be closed as part of the move. I will have UK credit cards as my French credit card has expired and the new one is in France and I dont want to risk the post by having it sent here.

I will stick to cash Euros.

Steve, debit cards are also OK.  Anyway, all the very best.  At least, at the end of it all, you will be here with us French residents and with Mrs PD, in your own home with your own cat.  Just think about all that and keep your eye on the objective.

Good Luck [kiss]

Thanks Sweet, unfortunately the French resident bit won't last too long, I imagine I will still be working in some strange part of the World (possibly UK - how strange can you get   [:P] ). I cant quite hack the retirement thing yet.

Keeping an eye on the objective is fine, but some bu***r keeps moving the damn thing.

[quote user="tinabee"]

UK credit cards work fine in the toll-booths. 

[/quote]However, beware if your credit card company charges a fee every time you use the card in a different currency - because it can make the bill for a number of small transactions surprisingly large.

Actually the point about driving in the light is quite correct. A lot of the signposting on the BP and on the autoroute is not illuminated, not very reflective, and in some cases downright filthy, so they can be difficult to read. You don't want to keep going round and round the BP until daylight.....

I wont fiddle about for change, just pay with note at each peage booth, the change will be used later I am sure.

Just out of interest, I will (probably) turn left out of CDG (effectively) and join the A1, a friend in Brittany swears its easier to turn right and go clockwise around the peripherique. I am not convinced, although last time I hired a car at CDG I got totally lost and ended up heading for Calais on the 16, turned left at Beauvais and had a nightmare journey across country until I got to my normal route from Boulogne. That was a looooooooong day.

I think a lot of Auto-route prints are called for this time.

As long as its night and there is no cloud and no light pollution and I dont have to stick to pre-determined tarmac roads I could "possibly" manage, I dont think the farmers or the damjams would be impressed though (or the hire car company) [:P]

edit  We have graduated to GPS in the desert these days

Remind me to relate to you one day a tale of running out of petrol on the Périphérique a few years ago [:-))]

Having spent so long driving amongst the Arabs Steve mixing it with the Parisiens should be a piece of cake. Perhaps THIS will give you confidence and inspiration [:D]

Archived