Complete France Forum

Hertz charge

sid

I had a short visit to UK at the beginning of the month (via Ryanair, of course!) and hired a car through them, from Hertz, at Liverpool airport. I paid in full at the time. I've just received my credit card statement and it shows another charge added on the day of return for £0.25 ! It's hardly going to break the bank at the moment, but I wonder how many other people have had a similar charge? The same charge levied on a thousand customers gives Hertz an extra £250. Maybe I'm alone in having the charge? So far I've had no repsonse from customer services, but I'll continue to chase them even though it's only 25p; it's the prinicple that bothers me.

Sid 

[quote user="PeterG"]I have noticed many times it is cheaper to hire direct with Hertz than it is through Ryanair!!!!!![/quote]

When I recently hired a car with Hertz through bmibaby it was about £20 cheaper than going direct or through a broker. However, I did lose ANY advantage when I was unable to return it with a full tank. I think that Hertz must filter their petrol though gem quality diamonds to make it fit for their cars!

[quote user="sid"]

I had a short visit to UK at the beginning of the month (via Ryanair, of course!) and hired a car through them, from Hertz, at Liverpool airport. I paid in full at the time. I've just received my credit card statement and it shows another charge added on the day of return for £0.25 ! It's hardly going to break the bank at the moment, but I wonder how many other people have had a similar charge? The same charge levied on a thousand customers gives Hertz an extra £250. Maybe I'm alone in having the charge? So far I've had no repsonse from customer services, but I'll continue to chase them even though it's only 25p; it's the prinicple that bothers me.

Sid 

[/quote]

sid, quite right too.  There's plenty of us awkward squad members out there.

I had a charge for a full-tank when we went to Sardinia.  Now, if there are Italians out there, I beg you to look away at this moment.  (I have known lots of Italians, have been friends with many, have taught Italian teenagers).

Anyway, they thought they'd pull a fast one and charged me for a full tank (so very Italian).  Only thing was, I'd filled up on the way to the airport.

Took about 6 months and great persistance with the agent through which I hired the car as well as correspondence through the car hire firm itself, but got my money refunded in full.

Wish my persistence with France Telecom would work just as well but, alas, I am on the point of giving up!  Only on the point mind, bloody-mindedness is a sort of dyed-in-the-wool trait with me.  But I do fear that FT, on this occasion, might have just worn me out! 

I gave up with French Telecom .....Wrote to them in the end and  requested they switch off the phone disconnect the line ...copy of letter to Orange France informed them  will not renew the contract for broadband  .contacted bank... stoppped direct debit payments ... All .fine...they switched off the line  the .payments stopped ...Now Orange France are asking me for the broadband payments after the line switch off date..now how do they think I can use it without a phone line ?. I now use the French  pay as you go mobile and when I want to send and check emails etc...  I go to a local bar with the lap top where they offer customers free Wi Fi access...I  have a couple of long cool beers and toast goodbye to French Telecom Orange .

Car hire at Airports .....My family go through a firm called  "  Nova " for car hire they are cheaper its an agency based in Ireland ....you book with them on line make a deposit payment  they put you onto an airport hire company to pick up the car ...What you see is what you pay ...daughter and son in law  hired a car out of Nantes  Airport with them and it was £165 for a week .....and they got a new Alfa Romeo  that son in law said had "Lots of grunt " as the VW Golf they thought they were getting was not available ... They were very happy with the service  and what they got for the money

Frederick, can't comment further on FT as it wouldn't be fair, this being about car hire.

You'd have a job convincing them you can't use your internet connection without a phone line.

Same as for me.  We have been charged 3 months for internet when the phone line wasn't in place.  If  I could just be given access to a garrot and pointed in the right direction, I wouldn't mind having a go at strangling the b*****s!

Hertz have apologised and refunded my 25p. Phew, I can afford to live another week! Apparently it was a clerical error. It's worth checking your credit card/bank statement, this may be more common than we think!

Sid

[quote user="sid"]

Hertz have apologised and refunded my 25p. Phew, I can afford to live another week! Apparently it was a clerical error. It's worth checking your credit card/bank statement, this may be more common than we think!

Sid

[/quote]

and how much has it cost you to get your 25p back

[quote user="sid"][quote user="P2"]

and how much has it cost you to get your 25p back

[/quote]

Dunno; how much does an email cost (or in this case, 3 emails) ???

sweet17 is right; principles are principles! [:)]

Sid

[/quote]

Sid my comment was slightly tongue in cheek. I agree that you require principles. If they get away with 25p they will then try 50p ..........

Paul

Archived