Complete France Forum

Eurostar - an Update

Gardian

Some current experience of the Eurostar (as opposed to the Eurotunnel, on which I can't comment) situation.

Our son travelled back from Avignon via Lille this afternoon. Only slightly late departure ex Lille early evening, originally scheduled arrival London 19.56, forecast whilst on the train for 20.21, actual 20.40. Considering the situation, much better than any of us expected.

To be fair to RailEurope, they have responded to emails re a refund for his outbound (he re-booked with Flybe - write in and we'll reimburse your train tkt) and the situation on his return trip tonight (turn up & we'll get you back asap) quickly and concisely.

Given the difficulties, we'd say that it was a good performance.  However .............. it was a Monday in mid-Sept.  Weekends might not not be quite so good.

Hope this helps anybody travelling soon.  

We've just had our new booking for Friday through (Eurotunnel) and it is almost the same as the original (which was after the new end of service time). Presumably they are able to honour existing bookings reasonably well. I just hope that there isn't a hitch which would mean that we would be stuck overnight.

I went on the Eurotunnel website this morning - they are stating day trips start again from the 22nd September.

Well, if you try to book anything before 5th October then it shows that everything is sold.

But from the 5th it shows anytime available. Still anyone booking could then find their booking time changed.

By the way Dick what time have they given you.

Paul

I spoke to Eurotunnel yesterday as we were one of the ones who could not get through on the 14th Sept. They said that they are now running two trains a day carrying cars. Their prority has been for freight as food needs to get through. Also they said that Eurostar has been virtually unaffected! They are to refund the cost of the ticket we had but have said that the refund may take 28 days to show up on our credit card.

[quote user="Athene"]I spoke to Eurotunnel yesterday as we were one of the ones who could not get through on the 14th Sept. They said that they are now running two trains a day carrying cars. Their prority has been for freight as food needs to get through. Also they said that Eurostar has been virtually unaffected! They are to refund the cost of the ticket we had but have said that the refund may take 28 days to show up on our credit card.
[/quote]

What a wonderful caring organisation Eurotunnel is - or is it a case of Joe Public travels a few times a year and Tom Freight travels very regularly so they want to keep their regulars.

Why aren't organisations up front and say that car traffic is not their main earner so they wish to keep the freight industry, their regulars, happy to stop them going to the ferries.

I can understand their actions - just be up front about it.

Paul

When you think about it, there's some sense (albeit frustrating for the consumer) in all this.

Capacity (in terms of train 'paths') must be down to less than 50% - let's say 40%.  The airlines have reduced the number of London - Paris / Brussels flights because of Eurostar and so there would be a need to service that traffic on the basis of there being limited alternatives.  Hence apparently minimal impact on services.

Kent Police wouldn't be keen on an ongoing queue of lorries on the motorway trying to get on a Eurotunnel freight service, so what suffers?  The car service, because at least there's an alternative.

I wonder what mkt share Eurotunnel has of the short crossing freight business?  If I had to guess, I'd say quite low (c. 10%).  Wonder if Will knows.   

Rather more than 10 % !!

For short crossings, Eurotunnel has (2007 figures)

38 % of the truck business

47% cars

38 % coaches

19% EWS freight

and of course Eurostar as well, that's no small potatoes.

As I mentioned before, there are huge penalty clauses if the Eurostar is late/cancelled and quite a bit if freight or trucks are delayed but of course nothing (or at best a refund) if you can't take your car.  That's the only reason the car shuttle is so restricted.

Archived