Complete France Forum

Anyone used Ebbsfleet yet?

I have only just seen this post hence the delay in responding!

I have now used Ebbsfleet a couple of times - I live not far away and the Eurostar shop in Blue Water was offering 2 for one tickets so we took daytrips to Paris and Lille. Excellent service although the station at Lille leaves much to be desired! For Paris it was definitely quicker than flying taking in all aspects of the journey.

There is plenty of parking at Ebbsfleet and also buses running there regularly.  At the time I travelled the ticket included use of the local bus to get you there but as our trip was early morning we did not risk that.

When the station opens for commuter traffic (later this year I think) the situation could be different! However with car parking charges of £11.50 a day (yes that is correct!) it will dissuade many. Maybe they will use the free parknig at Blue Water and take the bus! Inside the station the pre boarding area is small - just about enough space for travellers on Eurostar to France but I do not know how they will cope with other traffic. There is a small news shop and a tiny coffee shop which is totally inadequate - and expensive.

The Eurostar staff are very cheerful and helpful compared with normal BR.

Andy

Thanks Andy,

We will make sure we arrive with sufficient food and drink for the station and the trip.

When you refer to being open for normal commuter traffic later this year, I am a bit nervous because our tickets are for next week (25/4). I hope the train remembers to stop for us (lol)...

Mel

In addition to Eurostar serrvices, Ebbsfleet will be used by domestic train services from Ashford and Canterbury to London from 2009 giving an alternative to the current services  to Waterloo, Charing Cross and Cannon Street.

Quite who will use these high speed services is anyone's guess as it will not benefit travellers heading for the West End or the City.  If they don't work in Canary Wharf or the Kings Cross area, by the time they have to get the tube from Stratford or Kings Cross back to their destination any saving in time will be negated, and the high speed train's fares will be at a premium.

If you look here http://stpancras.eurostar.com/en-gb/where-ebbsfleet

you would see that "there are 2,500 car park spaces within 5 minutes’ walk of the station"

Must be nice to be able to travel by train to rural  France and not have to use those nasty airlines[Www]

Thanks for the information, Ron...

Ebbsfleet is well-placed to provide access to the Eurostar service for people living in East Anglia. It allows us to do so without travelling into central London, plus it cuts down on the mileage to Ashford.

This particular Eurostar trip will not be the start of a journey into rural France. It is my wife's Valentine present which was an 'April weekend in Paris'.

Actually, I cannot remember the last time I used one of those nasty airlines. I happily bang the drum for my regular mode of transport, Transmanche ferries...

Cruising

• 2 weeks later...

Well, last weekend saw my first ever trip on Eurostar and it started from the brand new station at Ebbsfleet.

Firstly, Ebbsfleet... To get there it is easy once you have found the junction 2 exit from the M.25 onto the A2. It currently sits in the middle of masses of roadworks, but if you concentrate, you will spot it. All the signposts to the Ebbsfleet station are very good with the exception of the one for the actual entrance to the car-park. From there on though, it is plain sailing. Loads of parking (bit expensive, £34.50 for 3 days) and then a few minutes walk to the terminal (steps to negotiate). The brand new building is clean, functional and has the services you need albeit if they ever get busy, there are probably not enough of them. One coffee/snack bar before customs and then another plus a W.H.Smith inside the departure lounge. Comfortable leather seats in the lounge and, unless you want internet access or the kudos that goes with being segregatedt, there is no need to book the executive lounge. Lots of information available and very friendly and helpful staff made the Ebbsfleet experience a very good and uncomplicated one.

Eurostar itself was fast and convenient. However, I found the 'cattle class' seats a bit cramped and the limited snacks available for the 'ordinary travellers' a little bit expensive, but more to the point, the service was soooo slow!

All in all, would I use this form of travel again? Yes, with Ebbsfleet scoring about 8 out of 10 and Eurostar about 7.

Mel

• 9 months later...

I found this post while searching for information regarding Ebbsfleet. I am taking a journey on Eurostar from Ebbsfleet and found out that I may be in luck as the national train fare to Ebbsfleet is free  for Eurostar ticket holders.  Can anyone confirm if this would include a trains from East Croydon and if so do we get an actual ticket or just show our Eurostar tickets, trying to avoid driving.

Thanks in advance Sam x

Archived