Complete France Forum

Need to pay a French motoring fine (and I'm in the UK)

Johnny

I was in Cannnes last month driving a borrowed (French registered) car and got myself pulled at a roadside checkpoint. The result was a 35 euro fine which stupidly I promised the car owner I'd sort out myself. I then got on with my holiday and forgot to go to La Poste to sort it out and now need to make a payment to the Commissariat in the next 7 days.

As far as I can see I can pay by personal cheque or timbre-amende. Obviously the latter is not an option now I'm back in the UK and my bank can't get me a Euro cheque in time.

My choices seem to be to a) Order the cheque from my bank and exceed the payment period for the 35 Euro fine so have to pay double. b) send a sterling cheque which I can't see them accepting or c) send cash.

This long winded post is finally getting round to my question: the paperwork doesn't mention a cash payment option by post. If i send money are they likely to accept it? Should I just take the extra hit and order a Euro cheque and pay double?

I have found the means to pay online if it had been a speeding fine but my French is not good enough to search effectively for payment online of other motoring fines. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Johnny

[quote user="Pickles"]Isn't there a way of paying such fines on-line? I'm sure that there have been references on this forum in the past to being able to do so ...[/quote]

Regards

Pickles

I think you will find that method of payment is only for fines issued automatically, auto/radars etc.

Archived