Complete France Forum

Hitting the ferry ramp

Recently on boarding the ferry with much frantic arm waving and pointing by the staff

I must have been directed at the wrong approach angle as there was a loud bang and I "bottomed " the car ...With luck no damage . I know the ramp angle changes with the tide and some days it must be quite steep and maybe this was one of them ....In future I shall ignore the urgent waving and go on board as slow I see fit .My Rover 75 Estate seems to be lower than the last car I had and I dont want to bounce it again. The question is .. Had I damaged the car ..would the ferry company accept any responsibility ? Anybody damaged their car on boarding or leaving a ferry and what was the outcome ?

Yes - low tide the ramp was steeply downward. I was in VW camper with two bicycles on a rack on the back and two more bikes on the front.

Crunchssshhh the two bikes on the front hit the deck and ripped the carrier off.

Red faced I hopped out picked them up and threw them into the back of the van.

Luckily no real damage - just pride if I had any.

Can't imagine that the ferry company would accept any responsibility - its probably buried in the small print somewhere that they are not to blame for any damage (especially from little (and grown up) brats that throw the car door open and dent your door).

As far as driving on/off is concerned, if you ignore the frantic waving and proceed at your own pace, not a lot they can do to make you go faster.

Archived