Complete France Forum

Driving at public holiday times

DerekJ

I'm trying to plan our next trip down to the Lot. Due to some commitments in the UK I need to work around some dates. This means that I probably need to travel around the times of some of the public holidays in May and I'm trying to judge whether I'm likely to encounter a lot of heavy traffic.

Travelling down

One of the weekends - Saturday 8 May - VE Day - as this is a Saturday is this likely to cause many problems - we'd probably travel on Friday 7th.

Or, possibly - Thursday 13 May - Ascension Day - travelling from the UK latish that night.

Travelling back

Sunday 23 May - Whit Sunday (Pentecôte).

or

Monday 24 May - Whit Monday - I suspect this may be more of a problem.

Any advice gratefully received.

Personal view Derek based on experience on A31, A5, A6 and A7 - so your route will be a bit different, but this probably represents a worst case with not only the French (and particularly Parisians) but also Dutch, Belgian, German etc weekenders on my route all heading for the Med or the mountains:

Saturday 8th - probably not too bad because most will have travelled the evening before.  The fact that the holiday falls on a weekend means that there is less incentive to go away that weekend than if the holiday had been Thursday, Friday, Monday or Tuesday. 

Friday 7th - and especially the evening - will be rather crowded.

Thursday 13th evening - no problem - everyone will already be wherever they are going having travelled the night before or early morning.

Sunday 23rd - I would not expect any special problems.

Monday 24th - will be busy

Thanks for the input Andy. I think we'll probably end up taking a late ferry on the evening of Friday 7th and travel overnight. I think we can delay our return until Monday 17th when hopefully any weekend buildup will have disappeared. It was the question on whether with VE Day being a Saturday and therefore, for many, not really an additional holiday there would be a lot of additional traffic.

I'll ponder on for few more days before booking anything.

Can't help with traffic in Rouen on a Friday - I always get lost there, and plan to go through on a Sunday if I can at all possibly.  Maybe someone in the area can help.

Re the name: never thought much about it, but thanks, since it's not made up but my own ( I can never think up silly names so tend to use my own)  ..... there seem to be quite a few of us on this forum.

Again Mme P cannot help with the specifics, just the generalities

2nd April is not a holiday (as said) but Monday is, so there will be a number of folk wanting to take a long weekend away.  This will cause a build up of traffic later on Friday but the morning should be not be worse than any Friday morning.

Thanks for the replies

Didnt realise monday was a holiday ( well didnt think did I) will the shops be open saturday as normal will need to get some fresh provisions :-)

Hopefully we will be able to get to and through Rouen before the locals are a wake our ferry docks at 4.30 am so should be quite quiet when we arrive

Shops will be open Saturday - yes - but you may find (like all "holiday" times), that they will be busier than ususal - as in the UK, when holidays come around, people shop as though the shops will never be open again .......

Archived