Complete France Forum

Inheritance

Gardian

This isn't to do with French Law, but I was just wondering whether any former (or current) lawyers out there might be able to confirm my thoughts on this.

My FIL died in April 2007 (MIL already deceased). It was only after his death that we found out how unhappy he had been about our emigration to France, and this manifested itself in his Will. It had originally split his estate equally between his four grandchildren: a revised version however changed this to include OH's sister, but not OH.

My wife was surprised and hurt (to put it mildly), but after careful reflection and advice, decided to proceed no further with any objection to the Will. If that was the way it was, then so be it.

Probate has just been granted, but we have just heard from one of our sons that distribution of the estate will not take place until 6 months after the date of Probate (i.e. April 2008) under the terms of the Inheritance Act 1975. Having 'googled' the above Act, my suspicion is that this is being invoked (either by the solicitor or my BIL, the executor) because we could legally object to the Will up until that date.

Am I on the right track and if so, could we legally waive our right to object?  Thanks in anticipation.  

Archived