Complete France Forum

USA Imposes Visa Fee

Frederick

This was sent to me by my travel insurers... Anybody planning a trip ? You may wish to do this now .

USA Imposes Visa Fee!
From 9th September, travellers to the USA will be required to pay $14 (£9) to use the compulsory Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA).

An ESTA application, mandatory from January 2010, can take up to 72 hours to be approved. It is currently free, lasts for two years and is an alternative to applying for a full visa, which is more complex.

The UK is part of the USA's Visa Waiver Program which requires travellers to complete an ESTA application. The security authorisation lasts for two years, so do it now - leave it for a month and you'll have to pay for it.

The EU Commissioner for Home Affairs, Cecilia Malmström, criticised the fee, saying it would "complicate travel". "It is strange that this fee is to be used to promote US tourism. You would've thought keeping it cheaper to get in would help more - after all, it's free for most Americans to come here" she said.

That's the theory Mr Coeur de Lion, but when I flew to the US recently, they still required the Green Form to be completed. Apparently, the US authorities have yet to give a date when the green form can be discontinued, which I believe is reliant on their computer systems being sorted out!

Archived