Complete France Forum

Over 60's ferry discount...

MrCanary

I remember reading some time ago on this forum that it was possible to get a discount for over 60's on the Newhaven to Dieppe crossings (not sure about other LD routes)...

Well, I finally remembered to check it out this week and it's well worth having!

You can only get the discount for telephone bookings, but at a generous 20%, it's well worth the phone call.

Just ask for it when making your reservation and it is given without any problems. However, you will have to show proof of age when checking in at the start of your journey.

Shame you have to cross the sea to get discount, I'm a terrible sailor, even the shorter crossings are a dread. However we have been converting our Tesco vouchers to tickets for Eurotunnel for the past couple of years, so it hasn't cost us anything. Actually, that's a lie: we had to pay £1. Good, eh?

Just Tesco...

I don't like the way they are trying to monopolise the UK. Norwich now has 26 Tescos of varying sizes compared to 2 Morrisons, 3 Sainsburys, 1 Asda, 1 M&S, 1 Somerfields and a sprinkling of Co-ops.

I just wonder how they get their planning permissions? They have just bought and closed down a Norwich pub to build a Tesco. The opposite side of the road there already is a small family-owned local supermarket and next door to the pub is a garage with a Spar shop.

And Tesco's are NOT cheaper than other supermarkets!

[quote user="Mel"]Just Tesco... I don't like the way they are trying to monopolise the UK. Norwich now has 26 Tescos of varying sizes compared to 2 Morrisons, 3 Sainsburys, 1 Asda, 1 M&S, 1 Somerfields and a sprinkling of Co-ops.[/quote]

A city with 130,000 inhabitants with 34 supermarkets? It must be a record. How can they all survive?

Having tried the others, I have gone back to Tesco. But as Alan Coren said, Sainsbury's do a great job - they keep the riff-raff out of Waitrose.

This thrad is about ferries ... another hijack???

"This thread is about ferries ... another hijack???"

I agree - sorry - my fault...

But just to clarify, there are 27 as I forgot the Waitrose - but the majority of the Tescos are small 'local' shops...

And the city is much bigger than 134,000 when you count in the fringe areas and suburbs.

Archived