Complete France Forum

Telephone Mast

Artois

We have just heard they are planning to put a telephone mast in the church steeple next to our house.

We are naturally concerned about any potential health risks to our children.

How do we find out more? apart from a conversation with the surveyors we have seen nothing posted in the Mairie or in the local paper. Obviously our first stop will be the mayor but as he is the shoulder shrugging, indiffernet type  we don't hold out much hope in him listening to our concerns.

If we did raise an objection how would we go about it and to whom? It seems to us there are various alternative sites including the water tower where there are no neighbouring houses.

Artois

Why "naturally" concerned, irrationally concerned more like.

Stop worrying, if, and it's a BIG if, there is any danger the safest place to be is directly under it because the radiation pattern is tailored to be horizontal and very little will be directed downwards.

Years down the road and after God knows how many research projects there is still absolutely no convincing evidence that RF radiation from phone masts in any way harmful to health.

The levels coming out of your wireless router are in a similar frequency range and will quite likely be stronger so are you going to throw that out ?

EDIT:

Incidentally I am communications engineer by profession and whilst I don't claim to have the level of knowledge or expertise of universities and the like performing such studies I do have friends working in those environments and therefore have sufficient knowledge and information to be completely unconcerned by phone masts.

Archived