Complete France Forum

The item I purchased is faulty - have I any rights?

Ian

I don't know if this question should be here or in shopping....

About two months ago, I bought a PC printer in Auchan. It stopped working properly yesterday, and when I phoned the manufacturer's Technical Support, they said it needed to be taken to one of their service centres - the nearest is 50 miles away.

This not being feasible, I took it back to Auchan today. They took the printer and all my details, then said they'd have to return it to Canon for repair - this would take about two weeks and they'd phone me when it was ready. To say I was surprised is an understatement - as it was only two months old, I was expecting a replacement. If this was the UK (ok, I know it's not), I would see a replacement as my right - Sale Of Goods Act, merchantable quality and all that - and been ready for a full and frank discussion with anybody/everybody in the shop till I got it.

Here in France, where do I stand? Have I been conned, or is this what normally happens?

TIH

Generally, it's what I'd expect to happen in France. We had a faulty video player - wouldn't work when we got it home. Took it back the following day to after-sales who took the top off, poked around and got it working there and then. If they had not been able to get it working, they'd have sent it off for repair - no instant replacement even though it was faulty on purchase and they had our money. That was Leclerc, btw.

However they did get it working so a seriously British toys-out-of-cot moment was averted.

I had had my laptop for 13 months when it broke down.

After 3 months and two returns for failed repairs, I have just been given a brand new (and better spec'd) replacement laptop in exchange, under the extended garanted I took at the time of purchase.

As far as I am aware (I have not looked into the legal texts), the vendor has to attempt to have the item repaired.

Blimey, this doesn't bode well for my (very expensive) Godin 4 speed cooker hood.  Only 3 speeds work and, of course, it's a heavy, bulky item that has also now been fitted by our installer.

The cooker has already taken 6 months to get up and running (some of the time, it actually works) and I don't much fancy having to use a range cooker generating lots of heat and steam without a hood!

Can someone say something comforting or even just make some soothing cluck-cluck noises just so's I don't stick my head into said oven?

Which is what I did, though I objected to giving Auchan more money.

(Couldn't face the prospect of an existence without a PC printer. It changed my life years ago, working at home as I did, when the company gave me a printer to go with my laptop. Then along came ADSL......)

So, my "toys out of cot" act is now worthless? Ah well, SWMBO will be happier - she always used to walk away at such moments. As for me, I'm developing a very Gallic shrug at it all.

Thanks for the advice.

If you buy on the internet, you will find that notwithstanding the

provisions of the regulations, many vendors attempt to

limit their obligations to the manufacturer's guarantee, which

is often limited to parts only, excluding labour and deplacement, and that they use this exclusion to try to sell you an extended warranty.

I bought a DVD writer in LeClerc's and 8 days later it stopped working. Took it back and they wouldn't replace it, saying that they only replace items if they fail within 7 days of purchase.

No amount of arguing helped. and in the end they sent it for repair, which took about 2 weeks.

I don't think the French have heard of the expression "Customer Service"

Hi,

Bought a high spec PC recently from Auchan in Arras. Got it home and was unable to use it because everything in French. Receipt said it could be exchanged within 7 days so that was what we did. Took it back and explained that it was 'unsuitable' for English use. No problems, gave them the receipt and they checked everything in the box was OK and money refunded to my account within 48 hrs. Lost a bit on the exchange rate though but not much.

cartref

[quote user="cartref"]Bought a high spec PC recently from Auchan in Arras. Got it home and was unable to use it because everything in French. Receipt said it could be exchanged within 7 days so that was what we did. Took it back and explained that it was 'unsuitable' for English use. No problems, gave them the receipt and they checked everything in the box was OK and money refunded to my account within 48 hrs.[/quote]I must say I think you were a bit lucky there.

Honestly, if you were a British retailer, would you have done the same for a foreign buyer?

[quote user="cartref"]

Hi,

Bought a high spec PC recently from Auchan in Arras. Got it home and was unable to use it because everything in French. Receipt said it could be exchanged within 7 days so that was what we did. Took it back and explained that it was 'unsuitable' for English use. No problems, gave them the receipt and they checked everything in the box was OK and money refunded to my account within 48 hrs. Lost a bit on the exchange rate though but not much.

cartref

[/quote]

I posted on here some time ago that the Spanish sister company of Auchan (Alcampo) used to have a 30 day no quibble money back refund irrespective of there not being any fault with the goods although at the time I was unsure if this extended to Auchan.

cartref's experience seems to bear this out which can be an extra selling point if you're buying items that you're not absolutely sure about. Of course the problem is there are so few Auchan hypermarkets around  unles  you happen to live near one.

I bought a printer from Amazon UK, brought it over to France, wouldn't work. It was 3 months later that I took it back to the UK and sent it back to Amazon. Full refund, no quibble. Now that's what I call service. My question is can one expect the same kind of service from Amazon France? I have certainly bought stuff from them - very fast delivery but so far have not had to send anything back. Perhaps other people have had to do so. I would be interested in their experiences. This could be the way to go.

Patrick

[quote user="bixy"]I bought a printer from Amazon UK, brought it over to France, wouldn't work. It was 3 months later that I took it back to the UK and sent it back to Amazon. Full refund, no quibble. Now that's what I call service. My question is can one expect the same kind of service from Amazon France? I have certainly bought stuff from them - very fast delivery but so far have not had to send anything back. Perhaps other people have had to do so. I would be interested in their experiences. This could be the way to go.

Patrick
[/quote]

I've not yet needed to return anything to Amazon, but here is a link to their "politique de retours":

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=548582

Archived