Complete France Forum

Check in

nomoss

I stopped flying some years ago, but noticed that my son, during a visit, "checked in" for his return flight a couple of days or so before it was due to leave.

I have always understood that "Checking in" is the process of announcing one's arrival at an airport or hotel, etc., to confirm that one is actually going to take up a reservation.

Can anyone explain what is acheived by checking in days before and probably miles away from the airport (apart from saving time at the airport), as this seems to be now a totally meaningless operation.

Ah! The last couple of words made me think that maybe this is EU regulation [:D]

Most airlines now allow you to checkin online which saves you queuing at the airport. You can also usually choose your seat too.

At the end of the process you print off your boarding card armed with which you can go straight to security on arrival, I would never do it any other way now.

Nothing to do with EU regs at all.

[quote user="nomoss"]I have always understood that "Checking in" is the process of announcing one's arrival at an airport or hotel, etc., to confirm that one is actually going to take up a reservation.[/quote]

Now it merely means that you are agreeing to a set of conditions, are supplying identity data in an easy-to-use format (for the airline's benefit) and INTEND to fly.

[quote user="nomoss"]Can anyone explain what is acheived by checking in days before and probably miles away from the airport (apart from saving time at the airport), as this seems to be now a totally meaningless operation.[/quote]

You are saving the airline some money. Depending on the departure airport, your arrival is signalled either by a scan of the barcode before/at security, or in some places, by presenting yourself at the gate. In the former case, if you don't show at the gate on time, they have the means to call you by name if they have the inclination: in the latter case, if you don't show up at the gate on time, they assume that you do not intend to catch the flight ...

You have to think back and consider what is the purpose of the physical check-in desk ... unless you have hold baggage, in which case the old physical check-in desk has now become a bag-drop desk.

Regards

Pickles

Archived