Complete France Forum

What is the time....- 2 questions

Monika

What is the timespan we would be allowed to stay in France before we become tax residents. How long can we be absent from the UK before we are no longer entitled to the UK's Health Service. I tried to do a search but could not find anything. Thank you.

Sorry I have another question: Is the Capital Gains - 5 years rule (reduction in Capital Gains after 5 years) from the time we bought the property or from the time we finished the renovation (signed off the work).

[quote user="Monika"]What is the timespan we would be allowed to stay in France before we become tax residents.[/quote]

Quand est-on considéré comme ayant son domicile fiscal en France ?

Sont considérées comme ayant leur domicile fiscal

en France les personnes, qu'elles soient de nationalité française ou

étrangère, remplissant l'un des critères suivants :

• avoir en France leur foyer ou le lieu de leur séjour habituel.

Il s'agit du lieu de résidence habituel ayant un caractère permanent. 

• exercer en France une activité professionnelle salariée ou non, qui ne soit pas une activité exercée à titre accessoire.

Si le contribuable exerce plusieurs activités,

l'activité principale, c'est-à-dire celle qui lui procure l'essentiel

de ses revenus, est prise en compte. 

• posséder en France le centre de ses intérêts économiques.

Il s'agit du lieu où le contribuable a effectué

ses principaux investissements, possède le siège de ses affaires d'où

il administre ses biens.

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F62.xhtml?&n=Imp%C3%B4t,%20taxe%20et%20douane&l=N13

[quote user="Monika"]How long can we be absent from the UK before we are no longer entitled to the UK's Health Service. [/quote]

I think that you cannot access free NHS treatment after 3 months of residency abroad.

[quote user="Monika"]Sorry I have another question: Is the Capital Gains - 5 years rule (reduction in Capital Gains after 5 years) from the time we bought the property or from the time we finished the renovation (signed off the work).[/quote]

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that one!

[quote user="Monika"]

What is the timespan we would be allowed to stay in France before we become tax residents. How long can we be absent from the UK before we are no longer entitled to the UK's Health Service. I tried to do a search but could not find anything. Thank you.

[/quote]

Sorry that I can't remember where I found this, but...

"If you are resident in France, you must pay French taxes on your worldwide income. However, if you are not resident in France, you pay French taxes only on income earned in France. This is much the same as UK tax law (i.e. if you are resident in the UK you must pay UK taxes on your worldwide income whereas if you are not resident in the UK you pay UK taxes only on UK income).

If you are resident in France from a tax perspective, you are referred to as 'tax resident in France'. In general, French tax law considers you to be 'tax resident' if you meet any of the following criteria:

your principal residence is in France, or

you carry out a professional activity in France (unless you can prove that this activity is carried out therein incidentally), or

your centre of economic interest lies in France.

There are a number of specific tests associated with these general principles. For example, if you spend 183 days or more in France in a calendar year, then your principle residence is deemed to be in France. These specific tests are used when it is unclear which country you are 'tax resident' in. For example, if you spend half of your time in France and half of your time in the UK, it is possible that both countries will claim you as tax resident, in which case the specific tests will be used to determine which of the two countries you are actually tax resident in. If your situation is unclear, you may wish to take professional advice on this matter."

Just out of interest as I dont know the answer ......... My hubby works all over the world some times for months at a time how come he only pays tax in this country? (england) on all he earns. he declares everything and has an accountant so its all legal. hes self employed but works through and gets paid by different UK and foriegn companies. paid some times in Pounds , Dollars and Euros  I have just asked him , but hes watching question of sport so I just got a I dont know pet .... ask my accountant[:(]

Edit : if he can do this why cant others?

Archived