Complete France Forum

RYANAIR LUGGAGE PRICES.........RIP OFF

cowoman

Just booked up to come to Limoges with Ryanair and they want £18 each for a suitcase each.This means although our fares were a bargain at £15 each,By the time they have added the baggage on it pushes it up so much.I also noticed this time that they added £4 on the bill for paying by debit card!!I dont know how you are supposed to pay without getting this charge.

Whilst I entirely agree with your sentiments, Ryanair have used these tactics to keep their fares low, it is these extras where they make their profit. They say they do not want to carry hold luggage as this slows turn round times and adds fuel costs. However, things may be changing from 25 February.

Be aware that Ryanair are completely shutting  down their reservations system on the weekend of February 22 to 25. Neither online or telephone customers will be able to book flights between 10pm on Friday, February 22 and 11pm on the following Monday. The reason reported by the press is to implement UK Office of Fair Trading requirements  to include all fixed, non-optional costs in headline ticket prices. About time too!!!! 

Full details and arragements here: http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/notices.php?notice=gops&code=080118-cutovernsk-GB

Baz

[quote user="JohnD"]Cowoman,
We are travelling Liverpool/Limoges next week, and being charged £6.00 per bag, per person,each way.
Is it worth double checking? as I am sure you will receive a sympathetic ear !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards
Johnd
[/quote]

Yes its right I have just checked again online.I think it must have been bumped up because of the offers

You could, of course, always vote with your feet/wallet and book with another airline and pay a boat load more. They will tell you that they are ripping you off up front.

Ryanair give a service and if you don't like it then no-one is forcing you to use it me thinks[:D][:D]!

I tried to book flights to the new route Angouleme today.  Great prices for the flights - £120 return for 5 of us.  Great until I got to the name part - then I click on internet check in - apparently not acceptable on this route and a £6 charge per person - so an extra £30 for the pleasure of not doing this on the internet!! Where's the logic in that????. 

So I tried to find some cheap car hire as well - we usually pay £70 a week in April at Easter - but cheapest I can get is £167!!! so turning into a very expensive time - so Ryanair in case you even read these forums - I didnt book flight we are going by ferry instead in our car - £67 return and you have missed out on our business.

Having a place near Angouleme we were very keen to test this out - what a let down.

Feel better for letting off that steam!!!

I know all that.Its common sense what you are saying but I think its wrong to put the baggage fee up by 3 times the norm and its not until you have pressed the confirm button that you realise.They dont even say why they have put the prices up by so much.We will just travel bagless!!!

[quote user="cowoman"]

I also noticed this time that they added £4 on the bill for paying by debit card!!I dont know how you are supposed to pay without getting this charge.

[/quote]

If you pay with Visa Electron its Free

My Visa Electron is with Halifax

Also you say you didn't know about the charges for the checked-in bags until you had clicked the confirm button, but you can still pull out of booking after this point!

I fly Ryanair to Limoges and travel light no bags and on line check-in next trip only cost £46.?? return!

I like Ryanair, If you want it cheap you can get it cheap!

Thanks for that

I know that I didnt have to pay the £18 because I didnt.But i was annoyed that before they put the "offers" on ,the baggage cost was only £6 or £9. It is annoying that you have to go through it all before they disclose the £18 charge on a bag.Maybe its just me,I might be getting tight in my old age.

[quote user="cowoman"]

Thanks for that

I know that I didnt have to pay the £18 because I didnt.But i was annoyed that before they put the "offers" on ,the baggage cost was only £6 or £9. It is annoying that you have to go through it all before they disclose the £18 charge on a bag.Maybe its just me,I might be getting tight in my old age.

[/quote]

Sorry, but what offers?

Edit: Do you mean the free seat thing?

Just to be clear before I start, I've always been supportive of the l-c carriers.  Hitherto, you've got a cheap, no-frills flight.

However, the cost is now beginning to get a bit out of hand.  I reckon that if you were able to plot the cost of a round trip for 2 ex UK to anywhere in France in (say) mid-May over the last 4 yrs, the results would be staggering.

I'm not blaming the likes of Ryanair - fuel costs have escalated enormously and they openly admit that they haven't been able (or didn't choose) to hedge their fuel cost for 2008.  Hence, wildly increasing costs for baggage, check-in, etc.  I sense customer 'pushback' and that view isn't just based on this thread. 

Ryanair are already forecasting lower earnings for this year.  I think that it might well be worse than they're admitting publically and that we'll see frequency and / or route cuts before very long.   I hope that I'm wrong.           

Archived