Complete France Forum

Chunnel closed today

Pickles

Booked on the 01:05 tomorrow morning. A little lack of info on Eurotunnel site - 'If travelling today, customers are advised to postpone their journey if at all possible. We will post a further update as soon as more information is available.'

But I am travelling tomorrow so phoned customer services. Told they did not know if the 01:05 would go but if I wanted to book a ferry, send them the details and they would refund me. They also offered to amend the booking.

Discussed this with OH and conclusion that dog would not like being in the car on his own. Phoned back and spoke to another operative. Like to change to 01:23 on the 20th. She then informed me that it would be an additional £13! I leapt up and down and informed her that whilst the lorry was ultimately responsible it was Eurotunnel that had cancelled. I also pointed out if I had chosen the ferry route it would have cost Eurotunnel far more than I had paid for the Shuttle. She then said 'as a gesture of goodwill'......I absolutely hate that phrase, it is me showing goodwill to Eurotunnel....'that there would be no charge'. She processed the change and I asked to speak to a supervisor. Expalined my upset and was informed that the operatives had been told not to charge where changes were made because of the suspension...was that true of not.....and that she would send another memo round.

However, top marks to Eurotunnel for their customer services, especially asking to be put through to a supervisor and being told 'none are available' or waiting so long you put the phone down.

Archived