Complete France Forum

Insurance claims

Jazzer

I've just returend hometo find a  small section of wall at the entrance to my  orchard collapsed into the road, due to the heavy rainfall I suspect. Would anyone know if it is possible to claim on insurance for this or is  it considered an act of God?

Yes, read the policy, and ask your agent. In 2003 when many houses developed cracks due to the heatwave, the insurance companies awaited confirmation from the prefectures before agreeing to pay out on claims. About half the villages in the Gers were covered, but not ours. So it's complicated with "acts of God".

[quote user="Jazzer"]I've just returend hometo find a  small section of wall at the entrance to my  orchard collapsed into the road, due to the heavy rainfall I suspect. Would anyone know if it is possible to claim on insurance for this or is  it considered an act of God?[/quote]

Might be poor maintenace though in which case you have not got any basis for a claim.

Hi. New years day 2007, the storms took off part of our barn roof and back wall. It was in bad repair and over 400 yrs old. Our agent organised an assessor to come out. We got a quote from the local builder and within half an hour of his arrival, we had agreed a settlement figure. I think he knocked off 10% of the quote for the wall rebuilding is it was in bad repair, but paid the full cost of the roof repairs. Less the excess. Very pleased.  

Archived