Complete France Forum

income needed to qualify for residence in France

suzy

Hello all,

I have been a lurker on this site for some time, my partner and I intending to make the move in 2009 when I retire.  I have read Sunday Driver's FAQ on new regulations for moving to France and wondered if someone could clarify the amount of income needed.  I shall have a couple of pensions, my state pension and work pension which will cover both of us well, but my other half doesn't get his pensions until 2014 when he's 65.  Will my income be allowed to cover us both or as we are not married will we have to offer separate evidence for income ?  He gets my NHS pension when I die, so wouldn't be destitute if I went before he was 65.

Sue

The requirement for adequate resources refers to 'persons and their family', so as things stand, you would be subject to individual assessment.  In planning your move, I expect you will be considering the benefits of entering into a formal PACS arrangement, which in this case, would mean joint assessment.

Thanks Sunday Driver.  Am I correct in thinking that we need to do the PACS in France and that the UK version isn't recognised in France ?  Would this then affect inheritance ?  Our house would be bought in my name only and with my money.  We each have grown up children (not jointly) and I would want mine to inherit although allowing my partner to remain in the house if he wishes.

Archived