Complete France Forum

birds of prey

berger

I think the bird everyone is trying to spell is called a Lammergeier. It eats bones, which it gets the marrow out of by dropping them onto rocks from a great height to smash the bone. I kid you not.

I always know when the buzzards are around our property, even if I don't hear them crying, (what an eerie sound they make). Our neighbour's chickens go berserk

Alcazar

• 3 weeks later...

I was watching a wildlife programme about the Capybara (the largest known rodent) or Swamp-hog in the water meadows of South America. The local vultures...not huge ones either....not only cleared up the dead meat. They also were not averse to helping things along and killing off the old, sick and very young. They were seen attacking newborn capybara.....something the size of a rabbit I suppose.

So there are Vultures that eat more than Dead meat. (And they did look like quite 'typical' vultures.) So I have no reason to suppose that other species of Vulture in France are, necessarily, exclusively eating dead meat either.

ETA....I suppose all  meat is usually dead anyway! But you know what I mean.....as in meat already dead and not killed by them.

[quote]Did anyone see this today? Great picture? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4355628.stm Chris[/quote]

Hi Chris, yes that is indeed a great picture, organised panic by the starlings trying to evade the marauding Peregrine that is attacking with confused determination, isn't nature a wonderful thing, a perfect balance achieved!!

I have seen similar flights back in the UK when i flew a sparrowhawk at a flock of feeding starlings in a corn field. I guess you could liken it to flying with a force field in front of your hawk, as the spar drew nearer the Starlings seemed to lift in unison in front of her and land in similar form behind her, very sneaky however she soon got wise to that, say no more. Hugh.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived