Complete France Forum

Badgers

Speaking from a position of total ignorance,can anyone help me with this question. We have a badger set at the end of the lane running next to our house. Today an armoured Chasse vehicle turned up the lane and dissapeared from sight. My wife, not very happy, took off up the lane in hot persuit and returned some minutes later to anounce that the Chasse intended to dig out the set and send the dogs in. My wife, really not happy, started plotting their downfall. Now, not one for rubbing up the armed locals the wrong way, what are the rules? I fully understand the regulations regarding hunting so I expect this falls outside the hunting regulations. Help please.

Redcap

Interesting subject this, had a slight disagreement recently about this subject with one of the forum members at "an other place".

Badgers are frequently hunted by digging out AND this occurs out of season by way of prefectorial authorisation which is almost always consented to UNLESS someone from a wildlife protection association finds out in advance and contests it.

Of course many of them will either still have their young with them or maybe they are having them at the present time.

This is an area of hunting that I am totally opposed to, it is unjustified and ignorant.

Chris

This cannot be called hunting in any shape or form. It is quite simply extermination. Many (NOT all) farmers do not give a rats tail about nature or wildlife and view the land as a machine to produce their living. To them, badgers are a pest as are foxes, crows, coypu, bears and anything else you like to name. But then aren't badgers getting slaughtered in parts of UK and foxes gassed?

Hi,

whilst I appreciate what you are saying this does not make it right. I know gassing foxes goes on and I also  know that badger hunting is still a great sport (which I detest) in UK even though it is BANNED!!

What I want to know is -is there an organisation who I can contact who may advise me if there is anything I can do.   I am going to try and find out if this "person" (and I use the word loosely) has indeed registered with the prefecture. If anyone can give me any further advice about this it would be much appreciated (by the way I am the person most concerned about this)

Speak to someone at ASPAS   http://www.aspas-nature.org/  ... I'm sure that they will be able to help you, they take legal actions and can give you legal advice, Madline Rubin speaks English but I'm not sure if she is there at the moment.

I really don't know what to say except that it's how it is, all I can say is that it doesn't happen on my land.

Chris

Archived