Complete France Forum

Hedgehogs

I posted this on the 'animal welfare' section before I found this one. We appear to have a couple of baby hedgehogs nesting in our back garden but cannot decide whether or not they are safe. Their habitat is safe enough but should they be wandering about in the daytime? A couple of days ago we spotted them scuttling around and after a few minutes they disappeared into a pile of leaves, so we left them alone. Today there is one of them out but it is staggering a little, I don't know if this is because it is weak or just freshly awakened (it has just stopped raining after about three days of constant rain) - any help or guidance would be appreciated, now thay we've found them we don't want to lose them

Not sure how old they would be. You could try leaving a saucer of cat food (or dog food) - the tinned stuff, and see if they eat it. Definately no milk, it upsets their tummies! Have they got access to water? If not leave a saucer of water as well. Hopefully  they are old enough to eat meat, or perhaps Mum is around somewhere too. Joy

Archived