Complete France Forum

Newts.

Found today in our Trench or as I call it our Stream. Baby newts.Wife delighted.

As well as as a pond with too many goldfish,[ if anyone wants any FREE ] I dug a trench about 10 metres long and  1 metre deep at one end to a muddy nothing at the other,lined with DPC and on one side all sorts of shrubs/willows etc ,left to go wild. We have a few small frogs and fish in it and last year saw one large newt. Seen once and never again.However ,today when clearing debris out,I found 3 small newts. Quite pleased about that. We have loads of lizards which have the bad habit of sunbathing on our front door mat and often have to step over them as they seem oblivious to the size of my shoes.

Last night ,about 8.00PM found a quiet spot by the edge of the Rance,about 5 mins away and while watching Egrets and numerous ducks ,we watched about a dozen rabbits come out of the hedges and go right to the edge of the water and they appeared to be licking the weeds and leaves.presumeably to get the Salt? One was obviously cloned from a Giraffe as it stood right up on it's hind legs to pull branches down and eat the leaves.  There were 2 dogs wondering around but the rabbits either knew them,or knew they were quicker, as they took no notice of them at all.

Haven't seen the Penguin again, probably a Razorbill as Chris pointed out BUT there is a seal at the Cale de Mordreuc about 10 mins away. Apparently he is quite a favourite with the locals, bringing in visitors to the cafe, and lays on the jetty.

Regards.

Re Photo's of the seal. I'm afraid my working knowledge of digital cameras and computers is somewhat limited. I shall have to ask my 9 yr old granddaughter do advise me. Given a saw or hammer and nails I can be more useful.

Regards.

Archived