Complete France Forum

snakes in Lot et Garonne

Are there any snakes in Lot et Garonne other than those we have in the UK? My husband has seen three adders in the last week (although worryingly I haven't seen any, so I bet it'll be me that steps on one since I'm obviously less observant!).

Cheryl 

Thanks for your replies. We've looked at the website and they could indeed be Asp Vipers - but I notice that it says venomous. Just how venomous are they? Would a bite kill a dog (or a person)?

I'd like to know so that we could take appropriate action if necessary as our dog (Weimaraner) is, we think, rather short sighted and tends to blunder into things!

Many thanks

Cheryl 

This NHS link really says it all, Asp vipers are in more or less the same league, painful - yes, life threatening - almost never. Cats and dogs will often be bitten without you knowing about it, a swollen foot or limb without you realising the cause. If your dog or cat does get bitten and you are aware of it, contact your vet. What you really mustn't do is get all worked up about the possibility of it happening, they are generally a very cautious snake and will zip away from any possible threat.

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=626&PrintPage=1 

Chris

Archived