Complete France Forum

myxamatosis in hares

We have just seen a hare at the side of the road in the Haute-Garonne looking very sluggish and remained motionless when I picked him up to put him deeper into the verge.  He nosed about a little amongst the foliage in a most desultory way, and appeared blind.

He had growths all over his head, and eyes that looked damaged and remained shut.  Not a car injury that I could see.

This looks like myxamatosis but I hadn't realised that hares can succumb.

Can any-one comment further - is it spreading?

I'm having a crisis of confidence now. I remember I read about a hare with myxomatosis years ago and I think (only think) I now recollect that the animal was mis-identified and subsequent reporting explained it was actually a rabbit.

I don't know about hares, but I guess it's possible.

Sounds like the poor thing did have myxomatosis though.  Friends recently rescued a rabbit from being run over by a car, only to find that it was quite poorly with the disease.  However, they took it to the vet who diagnosed it with myx but couldn't believe friends wanted to look after it.  The vet dosed it up with antibiotics and cream for its eyes and after about a fortnight, bunny perked up and looked to be on the mend.

As the vet said, it's not the disease that kills them, it's the secondary infections and problems, ie, blindness, so it can't see where it's going, or can't see to eat.

Pleased to say that said bunny is now healthy and back in the wild.

Archived