Complete France Forum

Otter sighting

Ian

Defo an otter - we got a good long look at "him" this time (3-4 mins). It is only the 4th time we've seen "him" in the last 3 years.  Two years ago a (self appointed?) local wildlife expert came along, on the request of our neighbour ,and verified the footprints and ...how do I put this....errr, "droppings" as Otter.  (Yes he smelled them!)

I'm pretty familiar with Coypu - Canal du Midi through Toulouse has plenty of the chubby little rascals...good eating apparently.

I reckon "our" otter to be much the better looking beast! (though probably not as tasty)

Very difficult to actually set out to see otters, not a creature that shows itself readily, then when you combine that with a territory of up to 25 kilometres it all becomes a bit hit and miss, looking for indications of their presence can be more fruitful.

Otters swim with only their nose and the top of their head out of the water, Coypu swim with their head and back out of the water with their tail frequently visible.

Chris

Sorry, just seen your second post.

The unmistakable and distinctive aroma of an otter spraint...mmmm.  Must get out and sniff that rock at the top of my garden. 

I am trying to sell my house at the moment: not sure if this is a benefit or not.  ha ha ha! Might just keep it off the house details!

Thanks for the info.

Ian

Archived