Complete France Forum

Butterflies

Michael

Having seen the terrible decline of butterflies in the UK, what a great pleasure it is to come to France and see how abundant they are here. Anyone like to identify these two species?

[IMG]http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z195/Twinkle3000/600multi.jpg[/IMG]

The very colourful ones with the "eyes" on its wings are Peacock (English) Inachis io.Paon du jour (French) and the brown one is Speckled Wood (English) Pararge aegeria-Le Tircis (French), both I'm pleased to say are common and doing well.

Edit. After playing with your photo I think the brown one is a Wall-Brown (English) Lasiommata megera.La Mégère (French)

So, are we going to see you spreading your wings so to speak??

Chris

Hi Chris, yes Wall Brown, the angle makes identification a bit difficult. Spread my wings as in birds to butterflies? lol. No, I enjoy all natural subjects.  How about this beauty?

[IMG]http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z195/Twinkle3000/600PL.jpg[/IMG]

La Belle Dame, what a beautiful name. Yes, moved over LS&B last October. Chris, I'm having trouble identifying this tiny little chap, who's picture I took in May, any idea? Sorry it's not a very good picture.

[IMG]http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z195/Twinkle3000/111.jpg[/IMG]

Well cheers for that, truth is I'm not sure but I would guess at a purple hairstreak (La Thécla du chêne) as a possibility, it depends on how true the colour is in the photo, bit out of focus as well, not your usual high standard Michael. (It ain't easy, I know).[;-)]

Chris

Sorry folks it's a moth not a butterfly.

Chimney Sweeper Odezia atrata

(Linnaeus, 1758)

Wingspan 23-27 mm.

This unusual species flies in the daytime, and prefers bright sunshine. It is completely black except for the white fringes at the tips of the forewings.

It inhabits grassy meadows, dry chalky and limestone districts, and is locally distributed throughout most of Britain.

The single generation flies in June and July, and the larvae feed mainly on the flowers of pignut (Conopodium majus).

A wonderful experience and incredibly lucky I’d say, or was it a case of who you know? A beautiful bird, were you close enough to see the red eyes? Apparently, there are very few pairs in France and only on the Atlantic Coast, although my bird guide informs me that a pair has established themselves near Le Havre.

Just a stroke of good fortune, in fact I was walking with a good ornithologist mate along a footpath with wide open flatland and lakes not expecting anything out of the ordinary when the first one flew across our path at medium altitude, flew on for several hundred metres where it started to glide around and was joined by another which flew in from the other direction, so mostly fairly long distance viewing, too far to see the red eyes but an incredibly elegant bird.

All I know is that their status in France is rare and that they nest occasionally, a first for me and two of them.[:D]

Chris

Archived