Complete France Forum

Query Over Boundary

Julietruly

[8-)]Hi,

I bought a village property which needs total renovation in 2004 and am finally in a financial position to start work on it....

However, I am not exactly sure where the boundaries lie and a visit to the Cadastrale has only raised more questions. The (very helpful) people at the Land Registry gave me a plan of the property (I never received one at time of purchase) plus some measurements relating to the boundary lines.

BUT- the measurements on the plan don't match the actual measurements on the ground, ie. it would appear from the measurements given at the Land Registry that a lean-to which apparently belongs to the neighbouring house is actually standing on my land.

Does anyone know how I can begin to go about clarifying what belongs to whom as it could make a big difference to my restoration?

The Mairie suggested contacting the 'GEO' people and he thought it might cost around 250Euros. But would their decision be final? Are there any laws which would allow the 'lean-to' people to claim land which (possibly) belonged to my property in the past? Are the measurements taken from the Cadastrale accurate/definitive or could the Geo people override them?

Any advice would be gratefully received!!      

A géomètre is the only person officially able to determine boundaries in case of conflict.

In case of conflict, one of the parties has to request a bornage judiciaire from the tribunal d'instance and the judge appoints a géomètre to

review all the documentation and existing boundaries. The judge can

accept part or all of the report, or ask for further details before

deciding.

The decisions are binding to all parties.

The fees can be split if all parties have agreed (in writing) to the boundaries being checked or measured.

http://www.geometre-expert.fr/www/cmsMng.do?ID_PAGE=7&ID_RUBRIC=1

For info, the plan cadastral is principally a tax tool and does not offer guarantee of ownership or boundaries.

Archived