Complete France Forum

ospreys

just come in from hoing the garden, you now its spring when the weeds start growing 10 times faster than your veg. anyway just had to say what i saw, the crows nesting in our woods started shouting there heads of and i stopped to look up expecting to see the usual buzzard being harrassed, oh no an osprey! with fish in talons just 30 feet above my head so near i could see it was carring a carp looked like a young bird does anyone no if it was a passing migrant or is there a french population. the only other osprey i have seen was on a large lake near bristol on an island in a big dead tree watched it for 40 minutes it moved its head twice.

clive

It will be a bird passing through, or that is to say it should be. Osprey, (Balbuzard pêcheur), do nest in the Forêt d'Orléans and I understand that there is a non breeding pair hanging around in Brittany.

Otherwise they are passing through, northwards this time of year to their breeding zones.

Great observation, didn't happen to notice if it had coloured wing tags or satellite tracking on it's back?

Chris

no coloured wing tags chris, could not see its back as it flew directly over me and then over our woods.on a slightly different topic i feed the birds all year and this winter have seen a brambling, goldfinch,greenfinch and 2 great tits each with one leg totally limp and paralysed.the goldfinch and one great tit are still here the finch sits down on the bird table to eat and the great tit shows wonderful skill hanging on the sunflower feeders at an angle then taking a seed to a branch he puts it under his good foot to open it, is this just by chance or are they escapees from some kind of traps do you know?

clive  

Archived