Complete France Forum

Swimming Sangliers?

So, the 1st question was "Why are there big wet patches around the pool terrace first thing in the morning, when there hasn't been any overnight rain?"

Next thing I saw was that something had blundered through my earthed up spuds / shallots / leeks, leaving 5cm deep & diam impressions in the damp soil with his size 11 clodhoppers.

We live right on the edge of an oak wood, which is (apparently) teeming with sangliers, though in more than 3 yrs, we've never seen one (though we've heard them!) 

Do you reckon I should leave some towels out for them to dry themselves off?  Maybe a nice plate of acorns as a snack?

They've come up the steps for a middle-of-the-night drink of course, but the idea of a drowned 70kg sanglier in the pool doesn't fill me with much enthusiasm. Apparently they swim very well (one was fished out of the Rhone not so long ago by the Pompiers and he lived to tell the tale), but I'd rather not test the theory.  Temporary barrier installed.

Not a fence Chris, but one of those cheap & cheerful alarms.  They haven't set it off (yet), but all this has made me think about whether it would be better to make the investment.

You know I'd really love to rig up one of those infra red cameras and play the tape back the following day, just to see how many of them are coming up the steps during the night (the wood is at a lower level to the house and pool). 

Archived