Complete France Forum

Birds of prey and my cats safety

DebP

Dear all

I have the opportunity of renting a fabulous house in the country (Herault Dept 34).  The house overlooks stunning countryside and vineyards, so it should be a simple tick box.  However, on the second viewing I saw a huge bird of prey sitting nearby.  We get lots of birds of prey in this area but I've never seen one quite so large and so close to a house I'd like to live in.  I love to see these birds but am now being slightly paranoid thinking that my cats could be fair game for it. 

Please could someone in the know let me know if I'm being over protective or if this is a fair concern.  My cats are quite large, they weigh between 4-5kg (9lb - I think?). 

I'm not up on birds of prey but it had markings similar to a thrush i.e dark brown feathers but with black flecks and at a guess I'd say it's wingspan would have been 3.5 - 4ft.

Thanks

Deb

I imagine it is a variable buzzard. Where I was born and have a house in Swiss Jura, we have lots and lots of buzzards and red kites. I have NEVER heard of either taking a cat. Which does not mean it can't happen, I am no expert. We will take our cats with us when we move and won't worry about it. All our neighbours have cats.

I am NO expert, and especially not about your area - but if high cliffs are present perhaps a peregrine? but much more likely to be buzzard. An eagle owl is a monster, huge by comparison. Chris pp would be your best bet. Again, in the Jura we have a huge number of buzzards and red kites, and a few peregrines and a very few eagle owls - and I have never heard of a cat being taken. but can't give guarantees. Regards  Odile

Archived