Complete France Forum

Demande de Injonction de Payer....

has anyone had any experience of making a small claim through the 'Tribunal D'Instance'? I think I have it sussed, but my french isnt that good and there may be some tips on getting it right. As far as I understand, I fill in the the form, with a covering letter, and documents to support my claim. And simply send it off to my local tribunal (Melle)....sounds too easy!

No....its an insurance prob. 'Artisan', a brit, who did some work in our house and whilst here, damaged some wooden floors. To repair is below his excess on his liability insurance and he doesnt want to pay. As a consession, we agreed for an independent expert to look at the floor. He suggested its best left alone, but that we should be paid  'forfait' for the damage. 'Artisan' still wont pay. We want to try to make him pay!

[quote user="barneysfriends"]has anyone had any experience of making a small claim through the 'Tribunal D'Instance'? I think I have it sussed, but my french isnt that good and there may be some tips on getting it right. As far as I understand, I fill in the the form, with a covering letter, and documents to support my claim. And simply send it off to my local tribunal (Melle)....sounds too easy![/quote]

If writing a letter, do remember to give your details as well as the other party's and enclose a copy of all the bills, reports, etc...  supporting your claim.

Send your claim to the tribunal nearest the other party's registered offices.

You will be sent a copy of the judge's decision.

If the judge rules in your favour, you have 6 months to contact a bailiff (huissier) registred in the same area as the tribunal. The bailiff contacts the other party who has one month to contest the judgement.

Thank you for thus. Its very helpful. We went to the Tribunal d'Instance office, just to see if they had an information desk. The lady there was great and very informative. We can apply for a free consultation with an avocat, for their advice on taking our case further and which route to use. I expect they offer this to reduce receiving forms that are not appropriate for the case. The aplication process takes 2 weeks, she said, so we are going to give that a try.....watch this space!

Archived