Jump to content
Complete France Forum

At the Dentist


Recommended Posts


I have a dental crown, which is mounted on a peg that fits in to (what used to be) the root of one of my front teeth. Damn thing has always been a problem, as periodically the cement that holds it in cracks and it comes loose.

I need to go to the dentist. I've had a good one recommended to me, but he doesn't speak English. I've looked everywhere to find the French term for "crown", but I can't. Also, what words do I use to explain that the crown is loose? The dictionary is no help at all.

Any assistance gratefully received.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dont take this as a flippant remark,but surely when you get in the chair and open your mouth to point at the `crown` the dentist will know what the problem is .Perhaps pas fort(not strong) whilst showing him/her may assist.
I know of this problem well as the children kept loosening dads for him whilst playing..he eventually resorted to a titanium suport,a very painfull and expensive technique but very permanent.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Une couronne", it has the same range of definitions as in English, ie the queen also wears it on her head. I can't remember ever having been to the dentist (yet) in France but I guess he/she would use the verb "cracher" when telling you to spit in to the bowl? Or would it be "rincer"?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...