Complete France Forum

Standard letters

Hi Charlie

If you have a big French-English dictionary (Collins or Harraps for example) you will find standard letters within the language in use section in the middle.

And if you don't already have one, I strongly advise you to seek one out - hours of winter reading in front of the fire.

Or just use this "Nous déménageons et notre nouvelle adresse sera ........ à partir du (date)

"We are moving and our new address will be .....from the .....

Then just nick a standard letter ending from the numerous examples in the dictionary.

Good luck with the move!

Quantum

Very helpful, thanks to both of you. This is what I’ve managed to put together from the standard letters and phrases in the dictionary:

Madame, Monsieur,

Ma numéro de client: XXXXX

J’ai l’honneur de vous informer que je démenagerai à France le 30 juin 2005. En conséquence, je vous serais reconnaisant si vous envoyeriez tous vos factures et autre correspondance à partir du 20 juin 2005 à l’adresse suivante:

XXX

XXX,

XXX

France

Recevez, Madame, Monsieur, l’expression de ma considération distinguée.

I think it gets the point over, but if I’ve made any gaping errors, I’d be glad of your comments.

Thanks again.

ChipshopCharlie

[quote]Very helpful, thanks to both of you. This is what I’ve managed to put together from the standard letters and phrases in the dictionary:

I find formal letters extremely difficult, so flowery, so I can't comment on the style but a couple of things strike me. Numero is masculine so it's Mon Numero and the future 2nd person plural of envoyer is enverrez or enverriez if you want the conditional. I'm sure they'll get the message.

Liz (29)

Hi

I think your letter is very good. They would understand what you want to say. No gaping errors, but in addition to what has been said above, you can just put de m'envoyer instead of si vous enverriez. It should be en France not à France because à is used for cities. En is for feminin countries. Factures is feminin so toutes not tous. I find this sort of letter hard too, it is in a French that is not really used otherwise! However I don't think French people find them necessarily very easy either. You can get books here with the letters ready written out for you!

Dear Charlie,

for your letter to read as if a French person had written it you could write:

Objet : changement d'adresse

Madame, Monsieur,

Mon numéro client : XXX

Je tiens à vous informer par la présente que je déménagerai en France le 30 juin prochain. Par conséquent je vous serais reconnaissant de bien vouloir envoyer toutes vos factures et autre correspondance à l'adresse suivante à partir du 20 juin :

XXX 

Veuillez agréer, Madame, Monsieur, l'expression de mes sentiments distingués.

Your signature

Your supplier's address needs to be about 2 third of the line on the right hand side (aligned with your signature), with the town you are writing from a couple of lines underneath and today's date, e.g.

Supplier's address

Londres,

Le 31 mai 2005*

* there should only be a single line spacing between the town and the date but I do not know how to do this on this page.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to contact me should you need more info. I am a French translator and also find that French business letters are very "flowery" indeed!

All the best for your new life in France!

Bonne chance et bon vent !

Frenchie