Complete France Forum

House purchase and building terms

Helen

We are looking seriously at buying a house in Normandy.  Although my day to day French is not bad, I don't know the more technical terms relating to buildings, their purchase, features and maintenance.  My old Harraps dictionary is also sadly lacking in this respect (as it is also in colloquial language for internet, computers and email). 

I know there are lots of on-line translation facilities but I would like to have either a hard copy print-out of an English French glossary specifically for house ownership and / or a comprehensive French / English dictionary that would cover it.  Any recommendations?   

And in the meantime, can anyone explain what exactly 'belles prestations' refers to?  Google comes up with 'Beautiful services'.....

Dictionary of Building and Civil Engineering - Don Montague - ISBN 0-419-19910-1 . However my copy was pretty expensive ten years ago and it has become English, French German and even more expensive. Live in hopes of him finding a Capulet and expanding into Italien. However it does engender a certain respect if you turn up at a French Architect with a copy.

Somethings remain impossible to translate. "How do you know when you have employed a civil enginner ? " " He say "Oh Dear" when he hits his thumb with a hammer"

Thanks for these suggestions - I think the short list is about what I need at this stage, as we hope to avoid full-blown construction and renovations!  Any ideas from anyone on the 'belles prestations' - though perhaps that is more estate agent speak than building and architecture?

We've got the:

Concise Dictionary of House Building Terms       ISBN: 1872739113         UK £27.00

A reference book for those involved in the construction, renovation, repair, alteration, conversion and maintenance of a French property.

Over 10,000 entries in each language, French-English, English-French.

Divided into 14 sections, arranged by trades covering:  Architect, Earthworks & Foundations, Builder, Carpenter and Joiner, Woods & Veneers, Roofer, Ironmonger, Metals, Plumber, Glazier, Electrician, Plasterer, Painter & Decorator, Colours. 

We find it invaluable and it's very easy to use. Handy size too, if you need to take it with you.

Archived