Complete France Forum

"another"

Patf

How do you say in french "I need another prescription." I never know whether to use de plus, encore, un autre or what. And what about "I'll try again another day".  Or if you're choosing something in a shop "show me another one please". Please explain, and I'll try to remember and put into practise. Pat.

[quote user="Patf"]How do you say in french "I need another prescription." I never know whether to use de plus, encore, un autre or what. And what about "I'll try again another day".  Or if you're choosing something in a shop "show me another one please". Please explain, and I'll try to remember and put into practise. Pat.[/quote]

"J'ai besoin d'une autre ordonnance", or if you mean you need a new prescription, "J'ai besoin d'une nouvelle ordonnance".

"J'essaierai un autre jour" or "Je reviendrai plus tard" (free translation!)

"Pouvez-vous m'en montrer un (or une) autre?"

"de plus" is when you add something to something that is already there. "Un jour de plus" = "Yet another, additional day"

"Encore un jour de pluie" is also "Yet another rainy day",

Un autre is for something different from what is already there. "Un autre jour" is definitely NOT today.

I hope that helps, who knows?

Patf - you know what the verb 'peter' means in French? So you would be asking for a prescription that farts again? [:D]

Michel Thomas was always insistent that you should not ask for 'un autre boisson', as that meant you wanted a different sort of drink from the previous one. Many French people don't seem to agree though. So it's probably better to just go for 'encore' as MT recommends.

Seriously, I have always asked for 'une ordonnance renouvellée'.

Yes I do know about that word but forgot the connection. We have a friend called Peter who gets teased here obviously. I learnt its use in hospital when they asked " avez- vous pete?" not as a complaint but for info as it heralds the anxiously-anticipated ..... selle I think they call it in medical terms.

Archived