Complete France Forum

Cancelling car insurance

vandermerwe

I think I've just made a big mistake, we thought that by not paying our car insurance that would automatically cancel our car insurance - this was confirmed when they sent a letter saying that due to the fact we had not paid our car insurance we were no longer insured with them. This all happened in March/April this year.  Today I received a phone call (Sept) saying that I owe the insurance company for the entire year even though the car has not been insured with them.  Is there a way to get out of this or will they really block our bank account as they threatened?? Anyone got any ideas?  Just when you start to get comfortable here...

The only way you can stop paying for car insurance is to lock it away and hand in the carte grise at the prefecture, informing your insurers about what you've done and virtually giving up ownership. I aked about this recently.

If you want to reduce costs they will change the policy to 3rd party.

I would say you will have to pay, but await expert confirmation.

Unfortunately there is no way you can get away without paying it this year, just make sure that you cancel it in the time allowed before the expiry date next year, lots of info on this forum about cancelling insurances, (it also applies to other types of insurance as well), otherwise you may be paying again next year.

Archived