observations on life and society and energetic performances made him an

icon throughout the world.

His family, friends and celebrity fans (including Neil Hannon, Marc

Almond and Petula Clark) discuss his life and the influence his genius

had on music beyond its origins on the French language stage. [S]
"

Poetry in songs...
Well worth taping (with subtitles)

Watched it on first airing last Friday - it was just bloody brilliant, at last an appreciation of Brel in English.  I have the big boxed set of his recordings which was released about 5 years ago and it's just great.

Since I've been here I've got the word to many of his songs also so I can use them to learn French, sort of musical language disks - plus a number of other singers of course. 

• 3 months later...

Thanks for highlighting that it was a repeat Clair - I was getting a severe case of déjà vu there because it sounded exactly like a programme I'd seen a few months ago. Then I looked at the dates...

My reason for mentioning it was that there was a very similar one about Jake Thackray - somebody who I was never that keen on when he was alive, but looking back there were so many similarities between him and the great francophone chansonneurs, like Brel and, in particular, Georges Brassens, whom he particularly admired. Who else remembers him?

[quote user="Hoddy"]I used to love Jake Thackray - I've still got an LP somewhere.

I loved his quiet, droll sense of humour in his life as well as his songs.

Hoddy[/quote]

I'd forgotten about that guy - went to see him years ago in a folk club in Derby. It was one of the first times I took my future wife out in England, and coming from Séte, the birthplace of Brassens, she was really impressed.

Archived