Complete France Forum

past tense of verbs that use être

Pads

Im trying to make a sentance using:

Monter = to climb (to go up )

Je suis monté = I climbed ( I went up)

But if I write

Je suis monté la montagne le matin (is this right?)

The only reason I ask is because I all the examples of I climbed the stairs or I went up the mountain seem to be written j'ai monté la montagne , I know some use both with different meaning . So how can I use Je suis monté..........  

Pain in the b*m these.

"Un petit nombre de verbes (decendre, monter, rentrer, retorner, sortir) son construits avec avoir ou etre.  Ils sont construits avec avoir s'ils ont  un complement d'objet.

Il est descendu tout de suite

Il a descendu la valise

Thus I climbed a mountain has an object (mountain) and thus takes avoir.  But if there were no object - I went up to look at the view  - it would take etre.

[quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="cooperlola"]

Pain in the b*m these.

[/quote]

For a few seconds, just a very few, I thought you meant bread in the behind!  Silly me but I giggled at myself!

[/quote]

The image of a baguette up a b*m is very funny.  Whose b*m shall we nominate?

(Sorry Pads for hijacking thread temporarily.)

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Pain in the b*m these.

"Un petit nombre de verbes (decendre, monter, rentrer, retorner, sortir) son construits avec avoir ou etre.  Ils sont construits avec avoir s'ils ont  un complement d'objet.

Il est descendu tout de suite

Il a descendu la valise

Thus I climbed a mountain has an object (mountain) and thus takes avoir.  But if there were no object - I went up to look at the view  - it would take etre.

[/quote]

How spooky until I got to s'ils  I read all of that with out translating it , just reading as if it was english, as soon as I realised i panicked and started to worry what the words meant ..........[8-)]

Il est descendu tout de suite = He came down straight away , can I add from the mountain= de la montage  or will that change it to avoir again ?

Il est descendu tout de suite (he descended straight away) - no object

Il a descendu la montagne (he descended the mountain) - object = mountain, hence avoir

Il est descendu tout de suite de la montagne = He came straight down from the mountain

Il a descendu la montagne tout de suite = He descended the mountain straight away

Edit : I hope somebody else confirms this, because as I say, I find it a bread in the d*rierre

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Pads"]

But if I put :

Il est descendu tout de suite du la montagne.

Is that correct ? So thats a yes then ......... hurray

[/quote]What's wrong with the bit I've italicised, Pads?[/quote]

Huh [8-)] you lost me ? I cant see an italicised bit ?

Of course you are not being a bread in the wotsit.  In fact, it does me good because it makes me think again about things I haven't studied properly for yonks - and I'm sure I make loads of mistakes but don't bother about them too much any more.

No, I meant the fact that I had managed to post twice - no wonder my post count is so high. (Well, that's my excuse).

[quote user="Pads"]

OK

so can I say :

Je suis monté voir la vue de la chambre.........?

I went up to see the view from the bedroom

please[8-)] 

[/quote]

So this is good too ???[:D]

This is the post that dissappered  just before you posted twice wierd !!