Complete France Forum

Am I translating this into the correct English tense ?

Pads

I agree with Sue. Or maybe : Worth the effort of reading - although that's not perfect English.  We'd be more likely to say "Reading this book is worth the effort," I think.  I only think that in Sue's version, your prof' may think you've missed the "effort/trouble  bit.

[quote user="Pads"]I did think that but then I got confused by LU as I thought this was the past tense ?[/quote]No it is not the past tense - the clue is in the name.  The past tense would be something that has happened - which it has not yet.  You are suggesting to somebody that the the book is "worth the effort of being read" (in pedantic terms!)  (I cannot for the life of me remember the name of this bloomin' tense at the moment -having a Saga moment![:-))]  )

EDIT : The passive form of the infinitive is what it is!

[quote user="cooperlola"]

[quote user="Pads"]I did think that but then I got confused by LU as I thought this was the past tense ?[/quote]No it is not the past tense - the clue is in the name.  The past tense would be something that has happened - which it has not yet.  You are suggesting to somebody that the the book is "worth the effort of being read" (in pedantic terms!)  (I cannot for the life of me remember the name of this bloomin' tense at the moment -having a Saga moment![:-))]  )

EDIT : The passive form of the infinitive is what it is!

[/quote]

I think that "lu" in this case is actually being used used in the past participle form.

The direct translation being "this book is worth the trouble to be read"

Which someone has already pointed out translates much better in English as "this book is worth reading"

editted: initially I like Cooperlola put "the trouble of being read" which now I think would have had to have used the present participle "etant" [blink]

Anyway Pads you are doing really well to notice and question these anomolies.

If you want the opinion of a French, I am French! And I can remove all the doubts that you can have. Indeed, the word " lu" is the past participle of the verb to read. The exact translation of the sentence, you found it: " In my opinion, this book deserves to be read".

Well as you can see from my picture ... I live in Cornwall ( south west England )  and I have a house in France near Carrcassonne , Im hoping to move there soon, and I am trying very hard to learn french. with the help of my friends here on this forum. I go to french classes once a week . then I work at home for the rest of the week .

Where in England did you go ? was it for a holiday ?  

[quote user="Pads"]

Well as you can see from my picture ... I live in Cornwall ( south west England )  and I have a house in France near Carrcassonne , Im hoping to move there soon, and I am trying very hard to learn french. with the help of my friends here on this forum. I go to french classes once a week . then I work at home for the rest of the week .

Where in England did you go ? was it for a holiday ?  

[/quote]

I was at Littlehampton. It was a school travel and I was 12 years old. Yes, it was during  holidays. I learn English at high school twice a week. How old are you ?