Complete France Forum

French Rugby

crépuscule

Not sure if this should be in the Sport section. I have been watching French Top 14 rugby on British Eurosport 2 and have been trying to work out the ref's instructions at scrums corresponding to "Crouch, Touch, Pause, Engage" in English. I think it is : "Flexion, Touchez, Stop, Attelez" but can anyone confirm this?

Thanks for that but I was listening very carefully to the ref last night and it didn't sound like "Entrez"! It sounded like "Attelez" although I had never come across that verb before and had to look it up in the dictionary. I will listen even more carefully next time. I have also "googled" both versions and only the "entrez" version turns up so maybe my hearing is deficient!  

We watch french rugby too, on British Eurosport. The match last night between Toulouse and Bourgoigne (sp?) was v. good.

I always thought the last instruction from the ref. for the scrum was "engage" - the same as in english but with a french accent.

Does anyone know who the commentators are? The frenchman has a very sexy accent.

I asked a Toulouse fan this afternnon and she said she thought they use the English terms at melées as they are called in France, although called scrums by the referee on the pitch.  At that level as most of the players are also engaged in the Euro cup matches it would be normal for English to be used as its the official language of rugby.

The French commentator is Florent Rossigneaux who is coach at Rosslyn Park RFC. I have just watched highlights of Clermont v Perpignan and it is definitely "Entrez" although, in this case, with a very nasal accent. At least I have learned a new verb "atteler" which is very useful if you have a horse & cart or a railway!