Complete France Forum

French equivalent for "allowing wine to breathe"

Alan Zoff

It has always puzzled me (not hard) that if you order a good bordeaux wine at a restaurant that as it needs time to breath (as any fule kno) that it is not really ready to drink until the cheese or dessert course.

I have developed a way round this but would be interested to know how other diners fare.

Wine doesn't breathe well whilst still in the bottle anyway, pouring it into a wide bottomed decanter is better, or failing that pour it into your glass, and resist the temptation to drink it straight away.  I find the first method much more doable than the second [:$]

I'm a fan of decanting wine too.  I just can't see how the small surface area at the neck of a bottle can allow much air to get to the wine.  Decanting (looking through the bottle neck at a candle flame to detect any sediment) is the way to go IMHO.   I don't know the chemistry behind it but it certainly does something to the wine.

Does the term to 'Chambre' wine just refer to getting it up to room temperature then?

As far  as I am aware, yes it does.................

However, don't forget that room temperature in times gone by was not what it is today, with our central heating etc. Reds should be served at 15/16c ............................or in old money 55/60f.

[quote user="PeterG"]

As far  as I am aware, yes it does.................

However, don't forget that room temperature in times gone by was not what it is today, with our central heating etc. Reds should be served at 15/16c ............................or in old money 55/60f.

[/quote]

Thats why its a good idea to slightly chill red wine.............................purists eat your heart out.

room temperature....bulls**t. drink it how you like it, I like it chilled.

Archived