Complete France Forum

Does anyone understand the difference between GARP and TAITBOUT?

Megane

My husband and I have lived in France since early last year and are both employed by his company. We have been paying cotisations to GARP - which I had understood was for retirement pension. However, we have now had to pay retirement contributions to Taitbout which seems to be for expats only. Can anyone explain the difference between the 2?

That's interesting, SD. Up until now the only route I knew of for a company to permanently employ a French resident (ignoring secondments and the like) involved forming a French subsidiary along with all the cost and complications that involves.

Reading this leaflet it seems to say that a UK company can employ a French resident relatively simply by registering the employment with URSSAF. Does anyone have any more info about this?

Thank you very much Sunday Driver. The leaflet was really helpful. I didn't know there was an English link on the URSSAF website. I now understand that Garp is for unemployment and Taitbout is for supplementary retirement contributions. Thank you Again.

It is interesting, and seems to open up a further possibility for those working in (while permanently resident in) France for a non-French employer. However, in practical terms, the employer and employee still pay exactly the same contributions, so there would appear to little if any advantage over the employee becoming, in effect, the French subsidiary, and will still cost more than the employee working in France on a self-employed basis - though it may get over any difficulties using the latter arrangement for a single 'client'. It should be cheaper than the portage option.

Archived