Complete France Forum

What is the correct word for

Angie

"Turf" as in the green grass stuff with the mud on back! Not sure if its gazon or not? We have a lot of rather nice grass than is being taken up and we want to ask our French landscaper to slice us some with his digger to cover a very large bald patch we have - not sure he knows what we have in mind. Thank you

[quote user="Angie"]"Turf" as in the green grass stuff with the mud on back! Not sure if its gazon or not? We have a lot of rather nice grass than is being taken up and we want to ask our French landscaper to slice us some with his digger to cover a very large bald patch we have - not sure he knows what we have in mind. Thank you[/quote]

Angie, hope this helps.  It  does confirm Iduns translation.

http://www.plantes-et-jardins.com/p/13084-gazon-naturel-en-rouleau-x-1m2

It is available; but not in many places. When I asked my neighbour where I could get some , he said why would you want it? dig the soil sow the seed and wait, I laughed and said well I'm English, and he then laughed and agreed.[:D]

[quote user="Loiseau"]I don't think Angie was wanting to BUY turf; rather trying to explain to the digger driver that she wants some existing sward sliced in that way so she can put it down elsewhere.

Angela[/quote]

Actually for what it's worth, I

thought she asked for the French expression for TURF. If you try reading once again wot I rote, you may realise that I said "it

confirms Idun's translation". Then I added a little personal story to try to highlight why TURF is not readily appreciated in France. [:P]

In any case a diggers dont slice, they dig, the clue is in the name, proper turf cutting machines are as rare as hens teeth in France and are sold or hired for stupid prices hence the stupid prices that are asked for turf if you can find anyone to sell it hence why no-one uses turf and gives them more reason to think that the English are rich and stupid.

Now I know that some digger drivers can open a beer bottle with their bucket but I would be pleasantly surprised to learn that they can cut turf.

You need to ask him to decouper (or enlever) la pelouse (or gazon) en plaque

Thanks everyone for your replies and amusing stories! I don't think I explained myself clearly enough. We have a very very steep bank which despite sowing grass seed on it remains bald (the seed gets washed away or blows away). We have tried using the mats impregnated with seed but that hasn't worked either. Our "digger" chap has an attachment on his tractor which could slice rather than dig and because he is removing a lot of decent grass from another part of the garden thought we'd try that, nothing to lose I guess. Hopefully that will attach itself better to the slope and eventually grow.

But wouldn't the grass be difficult to cut on such a steep slope?

Have you thought of some bedding plants, cotoneaster, sedum, stuff with a good root system that will hold the soil well and not need any attention and good for when you aren't in your holiday home?

Nice berries from cotoneaters and mahonias for the birds and make a splash of colour on your bank?

This Forum does it again!

As a member of the conseil cyndical of our building, I've been pushing for a solution to holes that appeared in an owner's garden quite a while ago now.

We've finally received 2 quotes for the work of digging out, filling with gravel and compacting the surface, but they would both leave the area gravelled. The owner wants a lawn, just as it was when she bought her apartment.

Just as I needed to get my dictionary out to find what rolls of turf are in French to email the CS and syndic about it, when what should there be in the forum - a thread on turf! Thankyou all. ?