Complete France Forum

A few of the most common mistakes in written French

NormanH

Maybe the standard is deteriorating because very few people do handwriting these days - it's mostly on computer, with a spellcheck. Is there a computer programme that corrects grammar?

I suppose these students have to write essays etc, as we did.

Blimey, Norman! I usually feel fairly ok on French grammar, having done only that for the first 7 years of being taught it at school! But I was not up to speed with 2, 4, 6 and especially 10.

I am often horrified when I am out geocaching in France to read the ungrammatical "logs" written by others - presumably French native speakers - such as the following, seen in Brittany this week:

"la journée défile a grand pat ! il est grand temps de déjeuner! je partirais donc dans la foulé sur xxx et c'est alentours ! je ne connais que tres peu se coin ! juste de noms !

sa fera alors l'occasion d'y découvrir de nouveaux coin grâce au géocaching et c'est owners ! un très belle viré en fesant le tour de ces très belles croix !

pour cette géocache je me rappel y être venu il y'a déjà pas mal de temps! je ne l'avais pas trouver! c'est étant rendu sur les lieux que les souvenirs refont surface!

le logbook est mouiller! j'ai oublier de prendre mon sac a dos avec tout l'attirails du géocacheur! tempi je ferais sans ! j'arriverais a loguer mon pseudo ! mes je suis navré de pas avoir pu effectuer la maintenance! "

I get emails where people seem to ignore all accents.  Generally, it's not hard to work out where and which accents.

If I have an important or "official" letter to write, I do unload the avisoft accent programme and use that.  Must confess that I have been too lazy to learn how to do all the accents by heart.  I have an AZERTY keyboard so all the common accents are already there.

Archived