Complete France Forum

Access for electric cable

Lexi

Does anyone know if I have the right to object to our neighbours digging a trench across our land to bury an electric cable to supply their property? The house is being rennovated and has gone from 9kw to 30kw with no sign of EDF putting in a new cable to take the extra "weight". Concerned too that as our supply comes in on the same line at present that ours will trip constantly once they start using their 30kw...................

I've no idea, but surely the obvious thing to do would be to contact EDF.  They can certainly advise you on the electrical problem, and they probably also know a bit about the law on burying cables on other people's property.

How do you know it's gone from '9kw to 30kw', that's a heck of a lot for a domestic dwelling [blink]

Whilst there is probably nothing stopping them putting in whatever sized cable they like at some stage it will obviously need connecting to the supply by EDF and what is available at that pick up point will be the determining factor in what they are able or permitted to draw. If the draw is excessive you will not experience tripping but a reduction in voltage to which some of your electrical appliances may be more sensitive than others but don't forget that your neighbours will suffer the same problems.

As for digging across your land I don't know if they have the right to do that without your permission. If you wanted to dig your heels in and say no it would force them to prove they have a right as opposed to you proving they don't. I guess a lot depends on how you get on with them and how you envisage future relations.

Ultimately even if they have they right they must put the land back to the condition it was so if for instance they needed to cross a tarmac drive they would have to make it good afterwards.

Actually these days it is often unneccessary to dig trenches as they can 'mole' underneath obstructions. In UK I had a 'mole' to burrow about 15m under a concrete shed base and hardstanding to get power to a newly built garage. Only took a couple of hours amd some of that was digging a hole for it to start and a bit of digging at the far end to find exactly where it had ended up.

Archived