Complete France Forum

Party invitation !

Bellou

I have been reading some old threads about inviting French neighbours to parties with a buffet. The comments seems to be that 'the French' don't seem to understand this type of do and want to sit at table and chairs. It can therfore be a bit difficult.

We are planning a 'do' next month to which we are inviting friends and family from the UK, English friends in France and also French neighbours. We were planning a 6.30pm start with aperos and nibbles , and then a buffet table (English and French) starting about 8pm. I thought as some neighbours are very elderly , they may not want to stay all evening. They can if they want to of course !

This is partly because we have now completd the major work on the house, so it is a sort of housewarming party.

Could someone advise on appropriate wording for an invite to the French neighbours ...and any tips on managing the evening. Trying to seat 30-40 people is not an option!!

Thanks

Gaynor

Gaynor. A buffet do is not really strange to the french, I go to many do's and usually that is all it is and no one bats an eyelid,the same with neighbours and friends who don't have a lot of space too. Just make sure you have enough tables and chairs for people to sit down, after all, they are such foodies that balancing a paper plate on your lap at 80 years old isn't easy nor for youngsters either so that they can enjoy the food in comfort. A buffet as long as you include things that are standard issue here with meals like plenty of bread and plain lettuce in a bowl with some vinaigrette to go with it should be very acceptable and I know of no one who would turn down a good feed. If you are stuck for chairs and tables and you can't go outdoors, use garden furniture with paper tablecloths or some trestles with boards and paper cloth and lots of decorations.

Archived