Complete France Forum

George Sand

letrangere

Have just returned from a fascinating George Sand exhibition at my local Alliance Francaise.  Does she have any admirers out there?  I had previously only read 'Un Hiver a Majorque' but thought some of you may have read her rural idyll novels such as 'La Mare au diable' et 'le Meunier d'Angibault'.  Or how about her children's stories, they looked great fun.  Also, has anyone been to her house (now musee) at Nohant(36)?  It's not a long detour off the A20.

M

I don't know if she has any admirers but I'm not one of them, not yet at any rate; I have started "La mare au diable" several times. I got it because she sounded like a very interesting character, must admit I can't even remember why; I think there was a fair bit about her in Gillian Tisdall's "Célestine" which I was given a few years ago and which is set in the area you mention.

Having a holiday home in the midst of George Sands country my wife has bought a number of her books, (english translations) on Amazon including a biography and childrens stories. Working our way through slowly. Interesting views of the area 200 years ago.

Bob

She was such an interesting, emancipated, courageous and not forgetting extremely talented woman, principled too, I have nothing but admiration for her.  Friends tell me the Musee at Nohant is well worth a visit but until I get there I'll busy myself reading more of her books, first off Lettres d'un Voyageur, at least when amazon.fr is kind enough to deliver. 

Bob, have you visited your house in winter?  I only ask because I read a marvellous book recently set not terribly far away, en Sologne, and the graphic descriptions of the countryside (damp, mists, ducks) mirror those of the extracts I read at the exhibition of George Sands' Berry country. 

M

ps: prize to Pucette for best avatar, glorious picture and most beautiful hen!

A******rel if you please.

Pedantic Pucette

Shouldn't worry, Paul Heiney says the same in "Home Farm"... and if you hadn't replied I would have imagined that you'd just called him a hen to avoid being censored!

Did you enjoy the book by Sand that you did read?

I have a particular penchant for travelogue books that long pre-dates even Peter Mayle's, A Year in Provence.  I love to travel, love to read, love to write (if only someone would publish me).  Went through a phase of reading famous-writer-abroad books, ie Lawrence's 'Sea and Sardinia', Goethe's 'An Italian Journey', Henry James's 'A Tour of France'.  Knowing that Chopin composed all those haunting mazurkas whilst resident on Majorca probably prompted me to read George Sand's book about their time on the island.  Yes, I did enjoy it but doubt it was representative of her work as a whole.  Feel I should read her earlier 'Nohant' novels to get a better feel for what she really wanted to say, especially about women and their life and their, often unhappy, situation in the mid 19th century.  M

Thank you. I hope you get on with her better than I did and that you'll mention it, whether you do or not...

Archived