Complete France Forum

Bonjour Paresse

Coral

Not yet, Coral, but want to very much.  Was the IHT you read your local (ie Tokyo?) edition?  If so, wonder what the Paris published copy said, possibly the same.  That's a really good newspaper.  I was discussing this book a couple of weeks back with French friends who reckoned it was probably quite an accurate insight into French professional life, at least in the public sector.  Mustn't forget next time I'm at amazon.fr

M

Heard about but not read... as I understand it the basic premise that we achieve more not less by lifting our noses from the grindstone and relaxing regularly is pretty well accepted in the UK, America and Japan... but revolutionary in France.

Hi M, Hi Pucette,

I am in the process of packing up for the big move - you know - keep! - would like to keep - ding it! - and where the h*** did this come from?!! 

I found the cutting in among a bunch about France - some sent to me from UK.  So I do not think it came from the Japan/Asian edition of IHT. It was in the August 17 2004 (Page 2) edition in Letter from France written by Craig S. Smith .

The author is Corinne Maier and she works/worked? for EdF (they are NOT happy!! -understatement  ) and the subtitle of the book is 'the art and necessity of doing the least possible in a corporation' .  

Any comments about bureaucracy?

the basic premise that we achieve more not less by lifting our noses from the grindstone and relaxing regularly is pretty well accepted in the UK, America and Japan... but revolutionary in France

With all due respect, Pucette, would beg to differ here.  Can't comment on Japan (Coral?) but have first hand experience of the enormous differences in approach between American/French work ethic.  (Dare I go here for fear of being accused of racism?  Potential hate mail writers note I LOVE Americans, honestly, I can provide written references.) 

OH worked for American company in France, vast majority of employees French, handful of Americans, one or two Brits.  French put in the hours during the week, sure, but come mid afternoon Friday they were all on the road to Normandy/Sologne not to return until 10 ish Monday.  None would be seen dead in office on a public holiday, let alone a regular Saturday.  Yet presence on both was de rigeur for the Americans.   Even after living in the country, as many had done, for years, few of the Americans had come to terms with taking the entire month off in August, week/ten days for skiing in February that all their French co-workers took. 

But I digress, for back to the book and from what I remember author argues that you can actually not only survive but do quite well professionally in France, especially in the public sector, by intentionally doing as little as possible.  Yes, she did work for EdF and it caused an outcry, probably because all her colleagues' covers have been blown!  I don't believe she does any more though whether she jumped or was pushed I can't remember.

M

ps:  Coral, good for you for starting the clearing out well in advance.  All the women I know say you need at least 6 months to prepare for a big move. 

Hi M,

I do not know about packing up early - the first planned move date was january, then July, err...October, err.... December.  The agent must think I am a real wierdo! A house an office and a flat to sort-- So many papers!! and 30 years of memories.  Now am putting down my foot with a firm hand and have told the shipping cos March. I suspect that when I get myself installed it will be a matter of -- Why on earth did I bring this?!!!

Any moving/packing advice?

Coral - soon to be in Ariege - I hope

PS Woops!  Have I hi-jacked my own thread?... Sorry!!

Hi M,

In Japan they are very good at sitting at a desk with an aura of hard work surrounding them shuffling papers, and generally nobody leaves work before the boss.  However, with the 12 year downturn of the economy the company isnt paying overtime.  So, things change.  The bureaucracy could teach the French a few things about delays and being generally difficult.  However, the comment of 'What would you do if you were in my place?' gets a change of attitude.

Re your ps, I do not know about packing up early -   the first planned move date was january, then July, err...October, err.... December.  The agent must think I am a real wierdo!   A house, an office and a flat to sort-- So many papers!! and 30 years of memories. Now am putting down my foot with a firm hand and have told the shipping cos March. I suspect that when I get myself installed it will be a matter of -- Why on earth did I bring this?!!!

Any moving/packing advice?

Coral - soon to be in Ariege - I hope

PS Woops!  Have I hi-jacked my own thread?... Sorry!!

Coral, sounds as though your move has been as delayed as our own but, don't worry, we'll appreciate it even more when we finally get to France.  Moving advice?  Well I would have recommended you start on the detailed inventory list, in French and in triplicate itemising everything you own, period of ownership and approximate value.  However, someone on here said this was no longer necessary.  BUT I plan to check as suspect this may only apply to within-EU moves only.  As we'll be moving back from the Middle East, I'm still keeping my inventory (in French) up-to-date and plan to check at the French Consulate as to the exact requirements.

Another tip, presumably you're 3 pin plugs in Japan?  I wore my fingers to the bone changing plugs from 3 to 2 pin when we first moved to France, fortunately I had someone to help put them back on to 3 when we moved here.  Quickly add up how many lamps & gadgets you have and, if you can, start changing plugs now.  It's a really tedious job.

Obviously use a reputable international removal firm, preferably one recommended by friends who've done the same move.  Easier than you think nowadays as so many people from so many parts of the are world moving to France.   Be prepared for the fact that it's an awful lot more expensive (sometimes double) to move from X to France than from X to Britain (if that's your point of reference), agency fees and unpacking charges account for the difference, so we've been told.  Are you packing a 20 or 40' container?  We will be and are assured that the container that is loaded and custom sealed outside our house will not be opened until customs' clearance at port in France.  We plan to be there for that, it's easily arranged apparently if you're prepared to make the diversion. 

Finally, don't worry about the fact that possibly everything you've ever owned is going to be on the high seas for 4-6 weeks.  Apart from avoiding the cyclone period in the South China Seas, (isn't that the autumn?) MAKE SURE EVERY LAST ITEM IS FULLY INSURED!

Bonne chance, Margaret

I've just finished Bonjour paresse. Its rather drôle, a mixture of amusing truths and satire.

For example, Corinne Maier quotes lines from 'Six mois dans un bureau' - such treasures as "Toi qui te balades dans les couloirs avec un dossier sous le bras, je te salue!" It's worth a read, but I admit that it stretched my vocabulary, and includes not a few unfamiliar idioms.

Archived