Complete France Forum

La France est un pays ou l’on ne fiche rien.

Piprob

The 'Bonjour paresse' posting reminded that Corinne Maier makes some rather unflattering remarks about France. On page 103 she says

"....la France est un pays ou l’on ne fiche rien. C’est une des facettes, peu connue, de ‘l’exception française’ : la quantité totale de travail de l’Hexagone est incroyablement faible au regard de sa population." She also says productivity in France is among the highest in the world, which was also news to me.

The 35-hour week is a factor...

Does anyone know what the UK's biggest industry is?

I would hazard a guess that the UK's biggest industry is what is normally described as "services", though perhaps the country does manufacture more than we imagine even today. 

Incidentally, did anyone read about Peter Mandelson's maiden speech in Brussels? I only saw a garbled syndicated column taken (I think) from the Daily Mail but apparently he criticises the UK yet lavishes praise on the French and German (huh?) economies.

M

Yes. Peter Mandelson certainly knows where his bread will be buttered best. I have wondered if he really means what he is now saying or whether he merely seeks to ingratiate himself. Among all the things I haven't done to prepare for our move to Quillan, is to take a closer interest in the 'politics' of Europe - France in particular, of course.

The largest employer in the UK is the Gov. and to put this into perspective, gov. employees have twice the rate of salary inflation than the rest of the UK economy.  This is why there is no high unemployment in the UK, the gov. take them all and find them jobs. Well they also massage the figures but that is another story (and those that massage them are their employees).

That nice Mr Brown knows how to spend (and borrow) to fund all this.

Archived