Complete France Forum

French poets prefer London to Paris

Tom

Thanks for the very interesting link.  And don't forget painters came too.  I believe it was the Franco/Prussian war that prompted many - certainly Monet, Pissarro, Sisley - to take refuge in England.  And there's another South London connection.  Remember all those views of South Norwood painted by Sisley and of Dulwich by Pissarro?  Several hang in the Musee d'Orsay (and elsewhere).  You reference the poets appreciating the fog, how about Monet's stupendous series of views of Westminster on misty mornings and evenings?  M

Didn’t realise some of them would have been escaping the war.

Maybe also the way of life in London, including the fog, was part of the attraction. They could live how they wanted without the feeling that everyone knew what they were up to.

Possibly why French people are attracted to London today, not that there’s much fog any more.

No Fog - suggest they have a look at the impressionist painting of West Norwood railway station. ( Manet I believe)

What is it about Norwood be it West or South, can anyone tell me?  Why were the French Impressionists so attracted to the place?  No fog either in Sisley's paintings of the area but plenty of snow.  But that I can understand as snowscapes create the most beautiful light, which he captures perfectly.  M

Did some research, but couldn't find out what specifically drew them to the area. Pissarro rented a house there while Monet rented in Kensington and then had a room at the Savoy. Obviously he didn't like to suffer.

Found a critic who wrote that painting the suburbs and everyday life was what the impressionists did, and nothing much should be read into the fact they chose Norwood. They painted suburbs in France as well.

A plug for the National Gallery - you can order a  print of any picture in their collection from their website, including Pissarro's Fox Hill, Upper Norwood.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently there is an exhibition of the family Pissarro at the Ashmolean in Oxford http://www.ashmol.ox.ac.uk/ash/exhibitions/exh068.html . What struck me was how ordinary the majority of Camille’s subjects were. Views of the back garden or the back of the house all painted in a very matter of fact way. Looking at them I felt I wanted to add something to them. His paintings of his family showed a much greater warmth and understanding.

Diana

Archived